An effective way of training your oblique abs is doing dumbbell side bends regularly.
The correct form of this exercise is the following:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, keep your arms straight on your sides, palms facing your hips
- Bend to the left as much as you can, till you feel the burn (your body will tell you when to stop)
- Slide the dumbbells along your legs
- Don't bend your body forward or backward
- Return to the straight position (this movement works your obliques)
- Repeat on the right side
Dumbbell Side Bends - You Can Do It at Home
Slide bends is an easy ab exercise. You can do it at any gym and at home.
You can use a bottle of water, a jag of milk, a back full of books maybe, depending on your level.
Cable Side Bends
A good alternative if you don't want to use dumbbells is the cable side bends.
The exercise is basically the same, but now you're pulling up the handle attached to the low pulley.
Your start position is the bent position, with your head close to the pulley.
You can do this exercise one side at the time.
Position your feet at a certain distance from the pulley so that when you grasp the handle it results lifted from the stack.
Also notice that the oblique ab muscles that you work are those on the opposite side, which means that if you hold the handle with your right you work the left side abs.
Return to Home Page