Diabetes mellitus is a disease that affects many people, and the subjects find it difficult to metabolize the amount of sugar in the blood.
Diabetes affects mostly people who are more than fifty years old, and to keep it under control they need to follow a proper diet. This type of diabetes, if ignored, can cause serious damage to the heart, kidneys, visual apparatus etc.
Recommended Foods for Diabetes Mellitus
As I just said people that suffer from diabetes mellitus need to keep their weight and blood sugar under strict control.
Diet is very important if you suffer from diabetes, and here is a list of recommended foods if you are affected by this disease:
- Meat: wild games, veal, chicken, rabbit, beef, speck (type of Italian smoked ham), prosciutto, turkey and air-cured beef. Lamb, pork and ham instead should be consumed in moderation
- Fish: stewed or baked, poached or boiled, tuna in olive oil or natural. Fried fish and especially shellfish should be consumed in moderation
- Vegetables: all both fresh and frozen. Potatoes can be eaten every now and then, cooked, baked or boiled
- Legumes: peas, chickpeas, beans, lentils
- Fruits: apples, medlars, oranges, pears, raspberries, strawberries, peaches. Persimmon, kiwi, figs , bananas and grapes should be eaten in moderation (because they contain more sugar than other fruits)
- Cereals: pasta and bread, rice and barley are all good. Instead the following cereals should be consumed in moderation: egg noodles, biscuits and cookies, crackers, bread and white flour, bread sticks, pizza and polenta (another Italian cornmeal)
- Drinks: coffee, water, soft drinks and tea. Wine, beer and fruit juices should be consumed in moderation
- Milk and dairy products: light cheese, skim milk and low-fat yogurt. Others, such as medium fat cheese, low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt with fruit , mozzarella, parmesan etc. can be eaten occasionally
- Eggs can be eaten twice a week
It is important to know that you have to pay attention to food seasonings, such as olive, peanut, soybean and sunflower oils should be used in moderation.
Yes, diabetes mellitus sucks, try asking someone that suffers from it.
It is very important to control your diet, because obesity is one of the factors that are almost always involved with this disease.
Here you will find examples of diet(s) that a person affected by diabetes should follow, depending on which type of diabetes they suffer from.
Diabetes diet differs from type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. Find out how!