Anabolic steroids side effects is something that scares the crap out of me because by taking steroids you kinda agree to accept something that is going to damage your body quite bad.
What is more scary is the fact that so many people ignore those side effects because they will manifest sometimes in the future, maybe, while in the present they just see the "benefits".
Most people always think that "that won't happen to me" only because steroids don't show their bad side immediately.
It's like drug addicts, if they saw the bad side immediately at first try, many of them wouldn't become addicted.
Blah blah blah...ok but...what are these side effects then? Let's see!
Anabolic Steroids Side Effects
The side effects of anabolic steroids can be summarized as follows:
- Growth of sexual tissues, especially the prostate. This is often associated with urinal and ejaculation disorders, and the development of malignant tumors. The anabolic effect of the external genitalia occurs only during puberty though.
- Testicular atrophy. Our body is based on very precise adjustment systems that have the purpose of maintaining the homeostasis, which is the stability and balance of the internal functioning. It follows that for every action there is an opposite reaction that tends to bring the system back into balance. If anabolic steroids are supplied from the outside, our body has no reason to synthesize them. Testosterone is normally produced by the testes, and with injections of just 200 mg per week this production is strongly inhibited, resulting in testicular atrophy. Generally this mechanism slowly reversible, but in case of massive and continuous use that reversibility can be compromised.
- Gynecomastia, or man boobs. Again, with the purpose of maintaining the internal homeostasis, the human body tries to convert the excess androgens into estrogens, the primary female hormone. This results in the growth of breast tissue also in men. Prevention happens through drugs.
- Cardiac hypertrophy and acute heart attack risks. Also the heart is a muscle, and it functions perfectly only for optimal dimensions. When using steroids, cardiac hypertrophy can cause sudden death from heart attack.
- Strengthening of secondary sexual characteristics like the appearance of acne, thickening of body hair and baldness.
- In pre-pubertal age, premature ossification resulting in arrest of natural growth and early virilization.
- Psychosis. This one completes the list of anabolic steroids side effects. While taking steroids people notice increased anger and aggression attitude, with a tendency to sexual abuse and murder. On the contrary, during abstinence, psychological effects are reversed, resulting in anxiety, depression and suicidal tendencies.
Typical anabolic steroids side effects
A) Gynecomastia, B) Acne, C)Patient after 6 weeks of antibiotic therapy
Anabolic Steroids Side Effects in Women
Those were the main anabolic steroids side effects experienced in men, but there are others that concern women.
They can be hirsutism, amenorrhea, breast atrophy, clitoral hypertrophy, lowering of the tone of voice, virilization.
Other Risks and Side Effects
The use of anabolic steroids usually increases also the risk of injuries because muscle mass and strength increase much faster than the strengthening of tendons. Actually according to some studies, tendons become even weaker than before.
Slow reversibility is instead dangerous because it leads to dependence on these substances. In fact, when the treatment is discontinued, testosterone levels remain low for a long time (see the symptoms of low testosterone).
With low testosterone levels you tend to lose the muscle mass that you previously built, increase body fat, and also your sexual life may be affected as well as your mental health.
These days researches are mostly focused on discovering drugs with maximum anabolic effect and minimal androgenic effect.
During the years they discovered substances like nandrolone, stanozolol, methandrostenolone etc. that have a very high anabolic/androgenic ratio. If the human testosteron has an anabolic/androgenic ratio of 1:1, these substances can get 15:1 ratios.
That's why your friends on steroids gain lean muscle mass so fast!!
But it's not all gold that shines. What I just said works for low doses, and it stops working when anabolic steroids are used at high doses. .
The more steroids you take, the more the anabolic/androgenic ratio decreases
Basically let's say this way, if you take high amounts of steroids you increase the chances of experiencing the androgenic side effects.
Fortunately there are also some drugs that help contrast some of the anabolic steroids side effects. These specific drugs help block the conversion of excess testosterone into estrogens.
Because of the side effects that I just explained, today many people prefer to use the HGH hormone because it help building muscle mass and reduce fat, but it comes with side effects as well, cardiovascular disease on top.
I would imagine that anabolic steroids side effects would discourage anyone from using them, but unfortunately I think I must be wrong on this one.
Return to Home Page